Skjoldehamn hood

Right, so there I was, off to the thrift shop; because that was what I had promised myself and you! Yay! To the Batpoles!! But, soon my heart sank in the first 2nd hand shop … I mean, look at this … nothing but jeans….

jeans….jeans….. jeans…..

What was I getting myself into? Mission Impossible? The idea of making a garb set very similar to the original find is a great idea, but perhaps it can only be that: an idea. On the spot, I decided to just use any wool and/or linen fabric I could find, to keep the project realistic and FUN for myself! The first garment I wanted to recreate was the Hood.

The original hood was made of brown twill (see page 39 here; the reconstruction is on page 159). Fingers crossed I could find brown wool, if not… something else then!

On to the next thrift shop, where I was lucky enough to find some rather fantastic yarn (for other projects, mind) AND different clothing (yay! no jeans!) as in skirts, dresses and such. They also had plenty of left over fabric. I picked up the yarn, a great looking plaid skirt and some rather bland looking soft fabric, wool-like but not that.

The original hood was made of one layer of fabric. I prefer to line my hoods, I find that more comfortable, but that is just me. Also, this plaid is a little bit too modern, but I am just going to go ahead and sew.

Page 41 of Dan Lovlid’s amazing thesis gives you the measurements! There are 2 squares of 28x28cm and one rectangle of 30x120cm. These are the original measurements of the excavated hood! Aren’t you in archeological heaven? I know I am!

First job was to take the skirt apart and start measuring. I realised quickly there wasn’t enough fabric in the skirt, but luckily this meant I would have to lose only a few centimetres (the lesson here is buy the XXL size garments!). It would still be big enough to fit me! I cut 2 squares of 27x27cm and 2 rectangles measuring 28×60. I cut the lining (remember the boring bland wool-like fabric?) according to the same measurements.

I first assembled the pieces cut from the plaid skirt. I then placed the lining on each ‘area’ as I planned to flat line the hood. I am not sure this was the preferred method of lining in the Skjoldehamn region in the year 1050 CE, but we must keep in mind (please) that this project is also for newcomers in need of garb that looks authentic. As I said, a lining makes a hood a tad bit more comfortable!

I picked up some bone needles not too long ago and I really wanted a chance to use them. This project was the perfect try-out. I can honestly say that sewing with bone needles is just lovely. The needle goes through the fabric with ease. As you can see, I used a wool/acrylic mix floss to sew the hood.

The hood, being a small piece of clothing, was done in just a few days. Here is a gallery of the finished item.

In my very first post about this Skjoldehamn project, I said I wanted to spend no more than 40 euros on this; again to give newcomers (and maybe long term members in rough financial waters) an idea of how to tackle cool garb. I paid 2 euros for the skirt and 1,50 for the lining fabric. This hood cost me a total of 3,50 euro; I have 36,50 euros left!!

On to the thrift store again, to see what else I can find…. depending on my finds, I can make a shirt or….

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: